Tuesday, September 2, 2003

Long night

Shopping for a shirt and trying to find a guy. I see him next to a stack of products on display in PDQ trays. We get in a car and drive to a house on the corner of a residential street. The driveway is on the other side of the corner, but we pull into the yard on this side and drive around to the backyard. Through the large living room window around back, I see Sean from high school and Missy from work sitting on the couch inside. We enter the house and talk to two black guys sitting in the room with them. They describe a bunch of rival gangs starting a gang war. Missy seems to be in charge of their gang. The two guys tell the white guy I am with to leave. But then a fireball erupts outside and it is not safe to leave the house.

Following a group of people through a quaint town overlooking a valley of beautiful countryside. There is a church and graveyard of white tombstones on the distance hillside. All around are fields of flowers and green trees. I climb onto a giant log hung by chains from a giant pole or tree for a better view. The log begins to spin in circles around the pole. I straddle the log and ride as it gets faster. After several revolutions I jump off and in midair grab a rope that is hanging just outside the path of the log. I swing down into the sand of a playground.

Walk into the courtyard of a large house for a ceremony. I don’t know if it is cultural or religious. I sit at a wooden table with other men, then I stand and piss into a bowl of salad at my place setting. The bowl fills until the lettuce is floating in urine. Then a man dressed like a tribal chieftain priest takes the bowl and burns the entire thing as if with a blowtorch. It leaves behind charred remains that look like a hunk of wood turned to ash. He picks it up like a hamburger and we all eat it without concern even though I know it should be great. Someone take pictures of eating, several close up that show it great detail. We go through customs at the airport and they look through the pictures but show no reaction until they see a man in the background of one shot. He is a cultural mogul and they say he is wanted for reading out a controversial poem. They detain us to ask questions about him.

I’m walking with a group of people I know going to school. I don’t know what class we are going to. Then I realize I don’t know what school we are going to or where it is and I wonder why I am going to school and not work. Then the school bus drives through a parking lot full of piles of donations for Goodwill. There is stuff everywhere and the bus weaves through it, driving close to the side of a row of tall slum buildings. The bus speeds up a bit and bumps the side of a building but keep going. A big TV from the early 80s falls from a fire escape several stories up. It crashes to the ground and several people duck and run away. Expect for a teenage black girl. She was standing still as the TV fell and she did not flinch when it slams into the ground right next to her, nor did she move as the TV splinters beside her with a crash.

No comments: