Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Fail

The job interview isn’t going well. I’m sitting in an office and across the desk sits a woman giving me feedback on an earlier interview with a creative director. She says that I missed a few points and that Febreze is not industrial strength. She explains that they write the copy to make people think that it is, but that it just sounds that way. It all sounds very calculating and manipulative. I say that’s not honest, that I believe the work should be clear. My voice falters, my protest sounds weak and I know I am bombing the interview. But I can’t help myself, I have to speak out.

I am walking behind a woman as she begins to cross a short catwalk that bridges a deep pit. I am walking along the edge of a steep hill, the bridge is to my right. As the woman steps onto the steel mesh of the bridge, she slips and her leg sinks into the mud of the side of the hill. I look down and realize that I am wearing a tux which is also dirty from the mud. I can’t show up to the event I’m trying to get to in this condition. She will be late for work already, so she offers to help me get cleaned up. So I follow the woman to her house back down the street. Her house is huge, well-furnished and clean. She walks past a sweeping staircase at the entrance. There is a sexual tension in the air, so I leave.
I am walking in snow and see a dollar under a bush. It is on a slight hill and I have to duck and crawl under the thorny bush and stretch to reach the bill. When I stand and unfold it, I discover a 20 dollar bill on the inside of the 1. I take the bills to show someone and tell them I found 21 bucks. I end up going with them to a party in a nice house. Then I am standing in a hallway or bedroom and the woman from the mud is standing there holding up two pairs of panties and asking which she should wear. She holds a white pair in her left hand and a pink pair in her other hand. I’m not sure if she is talking to me or Travis. He stands slightly behind me wearing the same camouflage coat he wears to work. I wonder if this woman is his date and why she is talking to this redneck if she’s supposed to sleep with me.

No comments: