Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Flood

A flood hits a warehouse where I’ve taken shelter with a group of random people. I end up washed away and floating. The water around me is pretty calm like a lake, but all I see in any direction is water. I float along without effort or worry, but wonder how I will survive. Just then I see a school of fish swimming toward me. I stick both arms down into the water and pull out a fish in each hand. They look like carp but are the color of goldfish. Each is a bit bigger than my entire hand. I’m not hungry, so I decide to save them for later. I don’t want then to get away, so I hold them out of the water until they die, then stuff them down my pants. That is when I realize that I’m just wearing a pair of swim trunks. I look behind me and see the warehouse sticking out of the water. I don’t see a door and I don’t try to paddle or swim towards the building. But I drift right up to an open window, I don’t know how many floors are under water. A man inside helps me up and into the window. Then I look back down at the water just in time to grab the round, yellow inflatable raft I assume I was just sitting on, even though I wasn’t aware of it until now. There are a few people inside, but lots of the group I was with are missing. I don’t know how many or what happened to them. The people that remain are in a large room with wood flooring like a school gym. I walk over to a woman standing by some filing cabinets against the far wall. She asks what happened and I pull out the fish and say, “I went out for lunch.”

No comments: