Monday, March 19, 2007

What About Zissou?

Sailing on a large boat with a guy that looks and acts a bit like Bill Murray. He has two beautiful women in bikinis with him, one always on each arm. Another much older man is onboard and seems to be the guy’s flunky. We hit rough seas and the boat capsizes. I don’t have a life vest, so I swim towards the other people in the water. They are floating in a human chain bobbing up and down across the pounding waves. I struggle to reach them and as I stretch out my hand, the girls suddenly disappear. A life jacket that I assume belonged to one of them floats into me. I grab it under one arm as the guy extends his hand to me. I can barely reach him, but my fingertips grip his. We pull ourselves closer together and hang on. I look up to see the boat upright but being pushed by the tide towards shore. It seems odd to me that it’s such a sunny day. The boat races wildly ahead and crashes into a crowded pier. People run in a mob away from the boat as it runs aground. Next thing I know, we’re walking under an overpass near the water. A beat up, old sedan is parked by one of the concrete columns of the bridge. The guy approaches it to get behind the wheel. I go around to the passenger side but don’t open the door. I stop because through the open passenger window I see the dead body of the flunky buckled into the front seat.

No comments: