Thursday, March 22, 2007

Can't reason with a Nazi

I’m sitting at a large conference table facing a room full of men in Nazi uniforms. Several other men in regular clothes (suits?) sit on either side of me at the table also facing out to the crowd of Nazis. We are witnesses in some kind of hearing or maybe we are on trial. The proceedings are called to order and the entire room stands and raises one hand in the nazi salute with a shout of “Seig Hiel!” Myself and the men next to me remain seated but also salute, except we do not speak immediately after raising our arm. We shoot out our hand (still outstretched flat) from under the table in front of our laps. A nazi in the front row asks a question about Christianity and a man two places to my right begins to answer. I feel he is missing some point, so I interrupt to say that the blood and bread are called the sacraments. The entire crowd reacts offended and very upset by my statement. I wonder why I must defend Jesus Christ to these people and how can I explain tolerance?

No comments: