Friday, April 6, 2007

Snow drive

Driving through a suburban neighborhood that is covered in snow. The car skids at every turn or whenever I touch the brakes. I see other cars spin off the road. Then my car starts spinning in complete circles. I stay on the road and straighten back out. This keeps happening again and again. I feel like I’m still in control, as if I can steer which way the spins take me. But I get hopelessly lost. I can’t find the street that the house I’m looking for is on. A car is behind me, I can’t tell if he’s following me. I think it might be a cop. After awhile I pull into a driveway to lose him. I pull in past the house and see that it was an SUV behind me and that it turned into the driveway before the one I did. I drive into the yard behind the house and consider driving right through to the house behind it. But can’t tell if there’s a ditch between the two yards. So turn around in the yard and drive back out the driveway. I see the guy from the SUV walking up to the house next door. I wave and he smiles and waves back. As he climbs the steps to a large porch/deck at the front of the house, I see he is on a cell phone. I want to ask for directions, but don’t want to interrupt him. As I drive off, I can hear what he is saying even though I shouldn’t be able to because the car windows are up. But I can hear him and he is calling the police. He tells them that he doesn’t know if the neighbor’s are home and that I must be some kind of identity thief. I think he sounds nuts and hope the cops do too. I don’t think he is giving them a description of my car, but I try to drive away as safely and quickly as possible.

No comments: