Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Race

Several cars are lined up to start a race. Members of my family are driving. Dad is managing the start and is signaling the cars when to begin. But instead of everybody starting at once, Dad signals me to pull up to the start line and begin before the other cars. But I can’t pull straight up to the line, because other cars are in the way. I need to turn around, so I drive out into a wide circle. But I still can’t make it straight up to the line. I try turning around a few more time. I need to spin out the tires, so the car makes a tighter turn, but I don’t want to drive recklessly in front of my parents. Eventually, I make the tight turn, kicking up gravel in the process. Dad signals and I start the race. I don’t know if other cars will follow or if it is a time trial. I take off at the start down a dirt road. I have to swerve around random kids and a few adults. Some just stand there in panic, others jump out of the way. I am amazed that I didn’t hit anyone, but I don’t slow down. It’s like I’m driving with heightened reaction times. I drive into a house, but I don’t crash into it. It is just part of the race that happens to go through a few rooms of a house. I have to stop partway through and get out and clean up a room. I sweep as fast as possible as if it is all part of the race. Then I continue driving back outside. There is no transition between driving inside or outside, the scenery just suddenly changed.
For some reason, I have to send Mom to Australia.

No comments: