Wednesday, January 8, 2003

Get away

I am stranded on a deserted island. I swim out to a rock outcropping covered in crazy branches where several parrots are perched. I talk to them for a while, comment that some of their gang is missing, then swim back to the beach. On the beach I start picking up coconuts on the edge of the surf. Three of them are the size of oranges. I wonder if I can crack them open to eat. But I’m not worried about food, so I’m just collecting them because I think I should. Out on the ocean I see a giant Coconut husk floating towards the island. A forth of it is missing and the inside is hollow, it looks the size of an ocean liner. I run down the beach thinking we can use it to sail away. I run towards two other guys on the beach. I am not surprised to see them, but before I can speak to them, I see several old sailing ships (like pirates or the British navy) approaching the island. The giant coconut sails right along side them.
Suddenly I am on the other side of the island and hundreds of boats of every size (most look like cruisers or house boats) are tying up to long docks. I pick up a white captain’s off the ground. I think I can pass myself off as one to steal a boat. But the hat has Disney or mickey mouse on it. I put in on anyway. Then I see a tour group of Chinese school children get off a boat, the hat is part of their white uniforms. They swarm past me.
Now I walk into a building near the dock, inside is a counter where people are betting on a horse race. The betting slips are bunch of perforated stamps with the horse’s name on them. You’re supposed to detach the one you want to bet on. I look over a woman’s shoulder to see how it works and she accuses me of trying to steal her picks. She starts yelling about it to the old man behind the counter, but I and everyone else ignores her. I look out the window and see Craig Watson standing by a fountain. He sees me at the exact same moment and runs in and grabs me in a big hug. Over his shoulder, I see Stacy and Brooke standing at the fountain looking around. I want to go to them, but Craig has me.

I am in a small deli, like a convenient store. The walls and counter are metallic and there is a lot of glass (window and/or a divider between the counter and customer area. I am talking to the guy behind the counter like I know him. There is TV on behind him. Several customers come and go. They wait in line but it is more of a cluster. Then the guy gets what the next person needs from behind the counter. One guy looks at a rack hanging from the ceiling and complains that they don’t have the type of cigarettes he wants. I notice my Aunt Linda standing in the line. I watch her in the store until she turns to leave. Then I grab her by the arm, I want to introduce her to the guy behind the counter. I start to say that he is my cousin, but wouldn’t she already know my cousin?
Aunt Linda leaves the store and into a parking garage outside, she says something about watching the History channel. I don’t want her to leave and yell to the guy behind the counter to change the channel to the History channel.

I am walking or driving past a row of really nice houses. I keep seeing one with an interesting tiled swimming pool. Then I am swimming in it. A group of teenage girls comes out to swim and asks who I am. I say I was just leaving while climbing out of the pool. But instead of leaving I am inside, fully clothed, listening to two women talk. One of them lives in the house. The other is commenting that her husband does not keep all of the required amount of books for a Doctor or Lawyer in the house. The other woman responses that he keeps most of them at the office. As they are saying this, I look in the room off the kitchen. It is a flowery bedroom that has a shelf running around the entire room up near the ceiling. Leather-bound books are in place every so often on each wall.

No comments: