Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Innocent flashback

I’m in the Air Force, flying in a bomber. Kyle is in charge. We’re going through a mid-air refueling. There is a hatch on the inside of the plane on the wall towards the front. The other side of this hatch is where the hose connects outside the plane. Kyle is telling us what to do. Another guy is standing at the ready by the hatch with his hand on a valve. Kyle tells us to be ready because he must turn the value as soon as the refueling is finished. I stand next to the guy, listening to the fuel rush through the hose. I press my ear to the side of the plane listening for the telltale sound of the pump shutting off. I feel under intense pressure, we must do everything exactly right. The fueling stops and the guy flips the value. I go to the front of the plane and give the tanker plane a thumbs up. But the tanker is already dropping behind and banks away. They don’t see my gesture of thanks. The crew gathers in conversation at the center of the plane. Some one asks if I mind having to kill people. I do, but not if it is the enemy and not innocents. Some one says, I don’t care if it’s (So and so?) we’ve got a job to do. Kyle says to me, “I don’t care if we run into Eddie Guerra down there, I don’t want to see any shit like time. I realize he is referring to a fight I got into standing up to a racist. Then I think that that fight took place in another dream, as if this one contained a flashback.

No comments: