Tuesday, June 18, 2002

Getting by with respect

I am walking across a long highway bridge, traffic roaring past. I am tired. Suddenly a 4 by 4 little off road cart (an ATV) pulls up at the driver says hop on. The driver is a retarded kid, his body is bent and limbs are too short. The 4 by 4 is his wheel chair. I climb on and he takes off into the city. We are cruising the streets of NYC and I give him an address by cross-streets. We pass a high school marching band getting off a tour bus and the kids yell out his name to stop. He just laughs and keeps going. After he drops me off, I walk past two women calling his name. I ask if they are looking for the kid on the 4 by 4 and point out which way he went.

I am in and old diner or cafe, trying to raise or lower an American flag thru a hole in the ceiling. I lower the flag but can’t remove it, it is sewed into the rope. I try to raise it again but it won’t go up. Am I pulling the rope in the wrong direction? An old man excuses himself as he passes in front of me to put a folded American flag up on a shelf. It is more like bunched into a rectangle than folded into the proper triangle. The man is a veteran cleaning up after a meeting of his veteran’s group that meets here.

No comments: