Friday, March 24, 2006

Track snack

I am with some kind of tour group at a Nascar type racetrack. 2 or 3 female tour guides in blue and white outfits herd us towards the track. We spilt into groups of 5 or 6 and my group approaches a racecar sitting on the blacktop. It looks like a normal Nascar racecar that you see on tv. But then all of us climb into in it. I am standing up inside in the car and holding onto a roll bar that runs up from the floor and cross the ceiling just behind the driver seat. A driver wearing a jumpsuit like all the Nascar drivers do slides in the driver’s seat and starts up the engine. We zoom around the track and I stick my slightly out the window for a better view. The car sounds and looks like we’re going hundreds of miles an hour, but I don’t feel any wind or pressure. The feelings don’t match up, but the thing I think is odd is that no one is strapped in or buckled up. I wave to one of the tour guide girls as we go by where they are standing. She smiles at me and I think about flirting with her some more. But the car stops and lets us out at a different point on the track. The group is herded past a fence of horizontal wooden rails that look like raw lumber. We walk into a snack bar that looks like it belongs at an old drive in or little league park. I read the menu board listing coke and candy bars and try to decide if I want a hot dog.

No comments: