Thursday, March 23, 2006

For the fans

I am at a basketball game. From the perspective of on the court I see a guy throw water on a referee. I assume it is water even though the guy is holding a big waxed paper cup that beer is served in. Somehow I know that the ref has slept with the guy’s wife. Then I am in the stands and one of the guys I am with starts beating up a guy in the row in front of him. He is waving some kind of pot or frying pan and keeps pressing it into the guy’s face, not hitting him with it, just rubbing it in his face as if it was a cream pie. I merge the two incidents into one in my mind. Suddenly there are several TV crews there with cameramen and reporter trying to shove mikes into our faces. I sit there stony faced but acknowledge one female reporter. She asks me a question about what is happening and points the mike at me. I say, “Buy less, Live more.” And feel proud of myself for taking advantage of the moment. I stand up and with the guys I am with behind me, walk through the crowd and down the steps. Our faces are tightly composed and I feel like by stonewalling we just glide through and out into the sunlight of the parking lot.

No comments: