Monday, October 20, 2003

Hail me

Standing in a hotel room looking out the window at muddy fields in every direction several stories below. I see Mom and Dad riding mountain bikes along a road winding away from the hotel. Dad swerves off onto a path that cuts back towards the hotel and Mom follows close behind him. I see that mud is splattering off their tires and up their backs. I pull on a grubby pair of cut off jean shorts and look for an old t-shirt so that I can join them. But instead of hopping on a bike, I stand in the hotel lobby and tell them that I have a job interview at Moroch/Leo Burnett. I get into a cab and head to the interview. The cab drives past a convenient store/gas station and I watch a group of girls out front. One is eating an ice cream cone. She looks good in a skirt and crop top, but is too young. She’s probably only in college or maybe even high school. I wonder where we are and what route the cab is taking. I turn to ask and suddenly I am driving the cab just as it runs out of gas. I turn the key in the ignition and the car starts up again. It is suddenly dark outside. I turn the gar around in the grass to backtrack to a different gas station I just passed. The station is behind me on a cross street at a major intersection. I cannot do a U-turn on the street I am on because of a concrete median and barrier dividing the lanes of traffic. So I turn into the grass to turn around and head on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic. I turn to my left to cut across the corner through the grass directly towards the station. As I approach the cross street, I turn further to the left to drive parallel to the cross street. I am now driving in the grass on the wrong side of the cross street. As I straighten the steering wheel to bring the cab parallel to the street, I see Mom and Dad in the headlights. They are jogging and yell at the cab for driving down the wrong side of the road. They don’t realize it is I at first, but they continue yelling when they do.

No comments: