Thursday, August 21, 2003

Time to celebrate

I’m with 2 or 3 women in a hole in the wall but trendy restaurant. I run into Dave inside the front entrance, he is fall down drunk. I take him back to his apartment, but I don’t recognize it as anyplace that he has ever lived.

Brooke and I climb into a Hummer limo. It is as big as a semi truck and I’m driving it through a college campus and onto the city street. It’s impossible to turn, the giant steering wheel almost bigger than my arms can reach. I near hit things or tip over as I navigate the streets. The interior is big enough to walk around in. Brooke stumbles through the cabin, thrown about by the turns.

In a shoddy outdoor concert venue. Jimmy Buffett is on stage. Brooke and I sit on the top row with a chain link fence behind us. In the middle of a song, the sound cuts out. Buffett keeps singing, it seems the people in front of the stage can hear just fine. Realizing the speakers to the upper levels aren’t coming back on, most everyone gets up and start to leave. But then Jimmy Buffett steps up to a microphone stand a few rows below us and say that the upper levels are in for a treat. Then he re-starts the concert from a mini stage just to the right of our seats. I get up to get close and take a picture of him. I sit on a stone column that supports the fence. Buffett ends and song and is talking to a woman in the crowd. Then he steps forward and starts talking to me. I try handing my camera to someone to take a picture but Brooke is not around. A girl takes our picture with her silver camera and someone else takes my black camera and snaps a picture of Buffett and I posed with our arms over each other’s shoulders.

No comments: