Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Prank

At a high school graduation taking place in a dull hotel conference room with row after row of chairs. I am surrounded by my high school classmates and strangers. Each one of us has to stand up front at a podium to give a speech. I worry that I didn’t prepare anything and struggle to think of something wonderful to say. Then I realize that no one is listening to anyone else that is speaking, so I stop worrying about it. People are talking amongst themselves and drinking beer from cans or plastic cups. I look around and when I turn back, my beer and all the other containers have been cleared. A girl behind me has a shopping bag full of cups and cans. I point the bag then lean over and take a half empty cup of beer from the top of the pile. She says something to stop me and a teacher walks back from the front of the room and leads me to the front. I worry that she is going to make me give my speech next but she directs me to a blackboard at the back of the stage. The student speaking continues droning on while all of this has happened. The teacher tells me to write something on the board, but I can’t hear her. So instead I write something about skirts. Some people laugh and then I return to my seat. Most of the kids in the last few rows get up and leave early. Then are going to drink in a bar in a mall and I get up to follow them.

I am outside a school running down a sidewalk and through grass. I am trying to catch up to a guy walking ahead of me and I approach him as he joins a group of guys on a soccer field. I am excited about graduating. I don’t have to worry about grades now even though there are a few days of classes left.

I crawl through a barbed wire fence over dusty ground. The surrounding terrain is rocky and dry. There is a child’s bike lying on its side in the dust just beyond the fence. I finally make it through the fence and go into a brown castle. It is made from rock or adobe mud. Then I am on top of tall tower of the castle and it begins moving. The entire round top of the tower floats up and away from the rest of the building. I am floating in the top of the tower as if it was a hot air balloon. It is as big as a room and continues to rise. Soon it is floating high above the trees. I look down and see that the castle is part of huge amusement park although I see no rides. I worry about how far it will drift and how I will get back. But it lands a few blocks away. I recognize the area and think it isn’t far to walk back. I pick up and carry the top of the tower with me. I intend to throw it in the lake or put in on top of my office building as a prank.

No comments: