Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Cable & Jazz

I’m in a day care center that looks more like a theme park store. I gather the kids in front of a wall of televisions. I go to sit down against the wall and instead of choosing the adult size rocking chair. I sit on a kid’s chair that I am too big for, I sit perched across the two arms instead of fitting down onto the seat. The TVs won’t play, so one of the women that works there is behind a counter trying to fix it. I yell out as if doing the old high school Spirit cheer, “We got scrambled, yes we do. We got scrambled, how ‘bout you?!” All the kids laugh.


Walking thru a hotel then a mall talking to a girl. Have we just left a conference?
Then I walk up a set of carpeted stairs into a nice hotel lobby. There is a jazz band playing but it is odd because the band is arranged around a grand piano that is stuck into an elevator, the man playing it is sitting with his back against the back of the elevator wall. The two elevators next to it are still operating for guests. I tip the band a dollar as I walk past. I continue through the lobby and towards an exit on the other side. As I approach the door, the song ends and the bassist thanks me for the tip into his microphone. So I drop another tip, some change, into a clear box at the door. A bald man had just dropped some money into the same box a moment before.

No comments: